Can you keep a secret?

Last night I started on a book I absolutely couldn't put down so I ended up finishing it at about midnight. It came with one of the Cosmopolitan issue and was pretty good for a freebie.

The main character is Emma, a gal in her early 20s, not very bright or successful. Emma first reminds me of the girls in Marian Keyes books except she doesn't over consume alcohol.
Because of her upbringing, Emma have the urge of trying to please everybody which resort to lying about things she likes or doesn't like. She doesn't say what she thinks but what people wants to hear.

Emma is also afraid of flying. On the flight back from her first business trip the plane was caught up in turbulence. Thinking she's going to die, she told a completely stranger in the next seat all her secrets or more correctly - who she really is and all the lies in her life.

Happy to be back on the ground again, Emma return to work without any thoughts of that stranger who now knows everything about her - until she bumped into him at her office.

Although I can't relate myself to Emma, I found the book very enjoyable. The story is partly predictable but does still offer quite a lot of surprises.

"I'm a new Emma. Far more open than I used to be. Far more honest. Because what I've really learned is, if you can't be honest with your firends and colleagues and loved ones, then what is life all about?"

Hmm don't know if I'd agree. At the end of the day, not all people prefer honesty. We all look at our world through a pink shaded filter - some more, some less. Others don't always see what you see and don't want you to ruin their perfect image.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar