Breastfeeding and everything that comes with it


For me it hasn't been any doubt that I would breastfeed my baby. My mom did it for all of us and it seems to be the natural and logical thing to do. It never occur to me that there's a second path - bottle feeding.

'Ammepolitiet'
Norway is a pro-breastfeeding country. So much that during my stay at the hospital 'ammepolitiet' often passed through my ears.
It's a combination of two words, breastfeeding and police, and was meant for the nurses at the maternity ward. For them there's no other alternative than breastfeeding.
They drown you in praise for pursuing the right path and make you feel like the worse mom in the world if you dare to show sign of going towards the bottle feeding direction.

The troubles
Having a tiny premature baby with jaundice who doesn't have the energy to suck, still I felt I would be a failure mom if I give up breastfeeding. So for a whole month I was breast feeding, pumping, feeding pumped milk in bottle and topping with formula feeding - day and night!
The little one gets feed every 2-3 hours but with all the pumping and sterilizing bottle in between, there wasn't much time for anything else but basic life sustaining activities (like eating, sleeping well you get the idea).

'Ammetåka'
...is again a Norwegian expression new to me. Builded up by the word breastfeeding and fog.
Ammetåka is in plain 'forgetfulness' or mind wandering during the first period of breastfeeding.
I didn''t think this would hit me. I mean I'm good at keeping track of things and have never lost it well until now.
But I do understand how this could happen. With strong focus on feeding and taking care of the little one, adding on sleepless nights and constant baby crying can make the most calm person go crazy and the sound mind goes dull.
It's nothing serious, just things like running through your memory over and over again for half an hour if you did feed medicin to the little one this morning or not or waking up in the morning panicking about forgeting to feed the little one when you in fact woke up 3 hours ago and fed him.

I'm crossing my fingers that those days is behind me and won't return. Now I do feel that I've got some routine in place and not to mention some good support from my superman.

The must haves
Forget about all the fancy stuff like breastfeeding cushion (got that but never use it yet), breastfeeding bras (never use it at home) and special breastfeedind clothes (tank tops works fine at home) what I cannot go without is the pads.
 
They keep your boobies and clothes dry and clean.  
They are available at supermarkets in this part of the world as well, it's just I consume an enormous amount of them and they would cost me a fortune if I didn't get them from the other side of the globe.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar